St Brigid’s College is a co-educational Catholic secondary college serving the Parish of St Paul VI.
Brigidine education in Horsham began when the foundation stone of the original building, the ‘Convent Day School’ was laid on the 14th September, 1919 by the Right Reverend Dr. D. Foley, Bishop of the Ballarat Diocese. The Parish Priest responsible for the foundation was the Very Rev. D. Howell. A primary school, St Michael’s, was opened after the Mother Paul Barron and Mother Stanislaus Tobin arrived in Horsham on 10 April, 1920 with four other Brigidine Nuns. The Convent School was officially opened in May. Just three boys and five girls were enrolled with Mother Stanislaus Tobin being the first Superior.
In the third term of 1968 the new secondary school, St Brigid’s College, opened at Coughlin Park with 200 students. Sr Brigid Arthur was the foundation Principal.
A teacher who will long be remembered and to whom St Brigid’s owes much include Mother Bernard O’Mahoney, BA, Dip. Ed. (1936-54). She instigated the building of a science room and several classrooms. Mother Bernard is said to have prayed to the Our Lady of Perpetual Succour and on the very feast day of Our Lady the first load of bricks arrived in the convent yard.
Another teacher remembered with gratitude and affection by her many past pupils is Mother Bernandine (1932-57) to whom the school owes much for her tireless and devoted work over so many years.
Mother Claver Tuite, (1924-1968), second from left in image above, originally from Armstrong near Ararat. She has also had a lasting impact on the college for her talented and devoted tuition of both practical and theoretical music. She resigned from teaching duties in 1968 due to ill health and is the first Brigidine nun to be buried in Horsham cemetery.
Brigidine Sisters 1948. Image reproduced with kind permission from the Brigidine Archives (Victoria).
‘Women of Strength Women of Gentleness’ is available to borrow from the St Brigid’s College Library for all St Brigid’s College library members.